Butternut Squash Risotto with Pine Nuts & Balsamic
With the cooler weather upon us, there is no better way to enjoy the heartier side of tasty Italian classics than with our famously fall Butternut Squash Risotto recipe. Brimming with big flavors, bold colors and a creamy bite!
· 1kg butternut squash
· 4 cloves garlic
· 1/4 cup chopped sage
· Sea Salt
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 3 shallots, chopped
· 500g of Arborio Risotto Rice
· 1/2 cup dry white wine
· 8 cups chicken stock
· 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 55g of Pine Nuts, toasted
· 1 cup grated hard cheese
· Balsamic Glaze
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Peel squash and remove seeds. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Arrange squash on a baking sheet. Season with garlic, sage leaves, salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat squash. Roast for about 30 minutes, until squash becomes tender and golden. Remove from heat and discard sage leaves and garlic. Purée half of the squash and set the other half aside.
3. In the meantime, bring chicken stock to a slow simmer on low-heat in small, covered pot.
4. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on a medium setting. Add shallots and cook until they become translucent and softened, but not browned—about 8 minutes. Stir in rice and mix until coated and grains become clear, about 4 minutes.
5. Add wine and continue to cook and stir the wine has completely absorbed. Using a ladle, add 3/4 cup of hot broth to the rice. Use a wooden spoon to stir rice constantly. When the rice has absorbed most (but not all) of the liquid and the mixture is just thick enough to leave a clear wake behind the spoon, add another 3/4 cup broth and squash purée. Continue to add broth when mixture gets thick, stirring constantly, until all the broth has been used, the grains are al dente in the center and suspended in a liquid that resembles heavy cream— about 18 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter, squash pieces, pine nuts, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Once butter has melted and ingredients are fully incorporated, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and drizzled with Balsamic Glaze. Enjoy!!