Cucumber Noodle Prawn and Mango Salad .... and it's gluten free!
Alright peeps, mangoes are officially here and they are getting sweeter by the day. I’m on high pimple alert at the moment because apparently, eating too many mangoes does that to your face. But we will brave those zits because mangoes are not forever, neither are pimples. And there are sooo many delicious ways to use them like this cucumber noodle prawn and mango salad which also happens to be gluten free! Not that I have any gluten intolerance but if any of you do, this salad is especially for you.
This salad is inspired by Thai flavors and reminded me so much of my trip to Thailand where we would stand on the street and eat shrimp and mangoes off sticks.
If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can still make this salad with sliced cucumbers and onions or use a vegetable peeler for thin strips.
If you are vegetarian, substitute the prawns with tofu or other vegetables you like. Anything goes in this salad because the dressing is so delicious. I also love that I can serve it cold which just makes all those flavours taste even better. In the cloying Bangalore heat, there is nothing like slurping on cold cucumber noodles!
· 400 grams Prawns or any other prawns (Tiger of your choice, cleaned and deveined)
· 2 Mangoes (, cored, peeled and sliced)
· 3 Cucumbers (, spiralized)
· 1 Red Onion (, spiralized)
· 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
· 2 tablespoons Chilli (Thai Sweet Sauce)
· 1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
· 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
· to taste Salt (and Pepper)
· Mint Leaves (Chopped for topping)
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the prawns and slide them into the pan. Pan roast them for 3-4 minutes on each side till they are cooked. For smaller prawns, the cooking time will vary. Alternatively you can also blanch the prawns in hot water to flash cook them.
3. Whisk together the remaining oil, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, vinegar and salt to make the salad dressing.
4. Add prawns, mangoes, cucumbers and onions into a bowl and drizzle with salad dressing. Toss to combine. Top with freshly chopped mint leaves.
Note: If you are serving this salad at a later stage, do not mix the dressing or the vegetables will leave water. To serve later, mix everything except the dressing and refrigerate. Toss in the dressing just before serving.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Yield: 4 - portion