Harvest Quinoa Salad
Updated: Aug 31, 2018
As the cold winter days start fading and the spring days start getting longer, if your family is anything like my family, we can not wait to get outside and fire up the barbecue so we can start having friends and family over again! This harvest Quinoa salad is the ideal accompaniment to a meat feast or any other culinary creations. I love it because it is fresh, filling, tastes delicious and makes great use of those yummy winter vegetables that are nearly coming to the end of their season. It has a great balance of flavors and textures and great pops of colour to look fantastic in any setting. You will impress your guests with this on your table!
· 1 cup uncooked tri-color quinoa
· 1 cup cubed and roasted butternut squash
· 1 apple, diced (I used a Royal gala apple)
· 1 green onion, thinly sliced
· 2 cups baby kale or spinach or silverbeet, chopped
· 1/3 cup dried cranberries
· 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
· 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
· Salt and pepper to taste
· Apple cider vinaigrette for dressing the salad.
1. In a medium sized saucepan bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil.
2. Rinse and drain the quinoa then add it to the boiling water.
3. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let the quinoa cook for about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
4. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
5. In a large bowl combine the cooled quinoa, roasted butternut squash, apple, brown onion, baby kale, dried cranberries, almonds and pumpkin seeds.
6. Mix in the desired amount of apple cider vinaigrette and season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper as needed.
7. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you plan to make the salad ahead of time, wait until just before serving to add in the toasted almonds so that they stay crunchy.
#aimeedillonblog #aimeedillonrealestate #aimeedillon #auckland #newzealand #mairangibay #eastcoastbays #campbellsbay #milford #takapuna #castorybay #murrysbay #devonport #rothsaybay #brownsbay #torbay #longbay #northshore #lifestyle #realestatenz #realestatenorthshore #healthyliving #cleaneating #entertaining #springfood #nzfoodie #salad #quinoa