Lasagna Zucchini Boats
These Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats are filled with all of your favorite ingredients, are healthier than their pasta-filled counterpart, and come together really easily, making them perfect for dinner any night of the week.
If you’ve never had a stuffed zucchini, you are in for a treat. It’s one of my favorite go-to recipes when I am craving comfort food, but don’t want to overload on the heavy carbs. And, although these lasagna zucchini boats are a wonderful dinner option all year round, I especially love them in the summer, when zucchini is bountiful and you can always find a neighbor or friend who is giving them away by the (zucchini) boat load.
· 4 medium zucchinis, sliced into halves through the length
· 1 cup ricotta cheese
· 1 large egg
· 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
· 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
· 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
· 220g lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
· 4 tsp olive oil, divided
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 1 3/4 cup roasted garlic and tomato pasta sauce
· 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a ½ cm rim to create boats. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl stir together ricotta cheese, egg and 1 1/2 Tbsp of the parsley. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the parmesan cheese. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 tsp of the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Crumble mince into pan, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up mince when stirring, until browned (there shouldn't be any excess fat but if you happened to use a fattier beef then just drain excess rendered fat).
5. Stir in pasta sauce and 1 Tbsp of the basil, remove from heat.
6. To assemble boats, brush both sides of zucchini lightly with remaining 2 tsp olive oil and place in two baking pans (I used a 13 X 9 and a 9 X 9). Divide cheese mixture among zucchini spooning about 2 1/2 Tbsp into each, then spread cheese mixture into and even layer.
7. Divide sauce among zucchini adding a few heaping a spoonful to each. Cover baking dishes with foil and place in oven side by side and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, sprinkle tops with remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella, return to oven without the foil cover and bake until cheese has melted and golden and zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle tops with fresh basil and parsley and serve warm.