Sesame Chicken and Celeriac Salad
Step away from the brick of ramen noodles and the iceberg and nobody will get hurt. This sesame chicken celery root salad is wilt-free and loaded with shredded (raw!) celeriac, so nary a scrap of iceberg was needed to make this as yumtastic as humanly possible. Boom. This salad is 100% lettuce free. And no lettuce means it makes a killer lunch tomorrow too.
· 2 large carrots, peeled
· 1 large celeriac, peeled
· 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
· 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (preferably Thai basil), or cilantro
· 1 small clove garlic, peeled and grated with a Microplane, or finely minced
· 2 tablespoons white vinegar
· 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
· 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, dark or amber (or agave)
· 1 tablespoon tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
· 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
· 1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Shred carrots and celeriac on a box grater or with the grating attachment of a food processor. Combine the carrots, celeriac, chicken, and basil in a large salad bowl.
2. Combine garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, maple syrup, tamari, sesame seeds, ginger, salt, and pepper in a jar and shake to combine.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
4. Divide among 4 large plates to serve.
How to cook Chicken
Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to dissolve. Add 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and return to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, turning occasionally to make sure it cooks evenly, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool, at least 20 minutes before shredding.
Serving Size: 4 servings
Calories per serving: 326
Fat per serving: 12 g
Saturated fat per serving: 2 g
Carbs per serving: 21 g
Protein per serving: 32 g
Fiber per serving: 3 g
Sugar per serving: 9 g
Sodium per serving: 712 mg